Cubesville's So-Called Life

Monday, January 25, 2010

The moment I tell people I'm freelance, they automatically think I either don't have a real job or that my life is one big nap time. On the contrary, going solo is a gargantuan responsibility because I basically give up my comfort zone and everything that can pretty much ensure what used to stand for security:

1. A Regular Paycheck

As a member of cubesville, whether you called in sick or were too busy to attend that meeting, you're guaranteed that regardless what happens, money comes in every 15 days. However, should you decide to go solo, if you are able to line-up projects steadily on your own from a variety of clients, then you're off to a very good start.

2. Colleagues

When you work in an office, you can somewhat rely on people around you (most of the time) to cover for you when you hit a snag. When you go solo, it's pretty much all you.

3. Lunchmates

One of the hardest things I had to deal with was... having no one to talk to many times. When I teach, then well and great. But when I'm holed up working on composing content, I realize that I don't use my voice all day and end up having meals by myself (which isn't bad at all, really, because I get to enjoy my own home-cooked meals versus fast food slash junk!) What I relish most as a freelancer is my choice to meet up with friends mid-day and having long lunches (as long as nothing is pending!) because that is one of the perks of being freelance.

4. Insurance

The perks of working in a stable company is their ability to shoulder your bills in times of distress. Then again, you can always purchase your policies on your own --- from life insurance, health and even pension.

5. Titles and Minions

Unless you enjoy acquiring prestigious titles, driving cars that aren't really yours and having people to order around along with your climb up cubesville's ladder, I think it's a waste of time spending too many years in a place where you have no idea where you're headed... and why you're putting up with a life that's "okay".

***

Freelance is not about slacking off, staying home and watching TV while you try to work. It's about taking your existing career framework to the comforts of your own spot, dealing the cards yourself and making the rewards grow exponentially.

How you get from point A to Z, though, is completely up to you.


0 comments:

  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP